The sciatica pain usually heals on its own within a few days or even a few weeks. There are a few things that can help you feel better when your sciatic nerve hurts. A cool Warm Buddy heat pack from the freezer may reduce inflammation that is associated with sciatic nerve pain. All pain relief products you can buy Online.
For pain: Pop the heat pack in the microwave for a few minutes and apply to the pain helps to increase the blood flow to this area.
The Sciatic Nerve and Sciatica
The sciatic nerve is the largest single nerve in the body and is made up of individual nerve roots that start by branching out from the spine in the lower back and then combine to form the "sciatic nerve." Sciatica symptoms occur when the large sciatic nerve is irritated or compressed at or near its point of origin.
The term sciatica describes the symptoms of leg pain—and possibly tingling, numbness, or weakness—that originate in the lower back and travel through the buttock and down the large sciatic nerve in the back of each leg.
Heat pack to relieve Sciatica naturally
Should I use Warm and Cold Therapy for sciatic pain
For both these therapies it is always handy to have 2 heat packs available for immediate applications , one for warmth and the other to keep in the freezer for cold therapy applications..
How Heat Therapy Works
Many episodes of sciatica result from strains and over-exertions, creating tension in the muscles and soft tissues around the lower spine. As a result, this restricts proper circulation and sends pain signals to the brain.
Muscle spasm in the lower back can create sensations that may range from mild discomfort to excruciating lower back pain. Heat therapy can help relieve pain from the muscle spasm and related tightness and lower back ache pain.
Using one of our heat packs will help you relieve pain and muscle tension.
Heat therapy application can help provide lower back pain relief through several mechanisms:
- Heat therapy dilates the blood vessels of the muscles surrounding the lumbar spine. This process increases the flow of oxygen and nutrients to the muscles, helping to heal the damaged tissue.
- Heat stimulates the sensory receptors in the skin, which means that applying heat to the lower back will decrease transmissions of pain signals to the brain and partially relieve the discomfort.
- Heat application facilitates stretching the soft tissues around the spine, including muscles, connective tissue, and adhesion's. Consequently, with heat therapy, there will be a decrease in stiffness as well as injury, with an increase in flexibility and overall feeling of comfort. Flexibility is very important for a healthy back.
How cold therapy Works to Relieve Pain
Cold therapy can help provide relief for back pain in a number of ways:
Keep a Warm Buddy heat pack in your freezer for these applications:
- Cold therapy application slows the inflammation and swelling that occurs after injury. Most back pain is accompanied by some type of inflammation, and addressing the inflammation helps reduce the pain
- Cold therapy numbs sore tissues (providing pain relief similar to a local anesthetic)
- Cold therapy application slows the nerve impulses in the area, which interrupts the pain-spasm reaction between the nerves
- Cold therapy decreases tissue damage
- The massage adds the beneficial effects of gentle manipulation of the soft tissues
Cold therapy is most effective if it is applied as soon as possible after the injury occurs, usually within 24 to 48 hours. The cold makes the veins in the tissues contract, reducing circulation. Once the cold is removed, the veins overcompensate and dilate and blood rushes into the area. The infusion of blood in the area brings with it the necessary nutrients to help the injured back muscles, ligaments and tendons to heal.
Therapies on how to treat sciatica
- Warm therapy for aches and pains
- Cold therapy for fresh injuries and swelling
Warm Buddy make the best heat packs for relieving back pain and stress
Warm Buddy Company creates products that promote relaxation and provide natural relief from aches, pains and stress. They have been following this philosophy since 1995, while creating their world famous aromatherapy heat wraps, heat packs, eye pillows and the original warm up plush animals.
Warm Buddy rejuvenating heat therapy products have become recognized for their superior quality and long heat holding ability. Warm Buddy heat wraps and heat packs are safe, easy to use and highly effective , also available in unscented. Simply heat in the microwave or cool in the freezer as desired.
All Warm Buddy heat therapy products are proudly made in Canada.